revolutionary! boy, does it feel good to work on figured bass and voice leading again. Haven’t done that since my MSU days. It certainly feels good. Which in the end means, more time to practice.
there is no such thing as free time as a music major I’m learning.
is by far one of the coolest slash most inventive pianists around. inspiring.
to a different place. (seattle, houston, portland OREGON, montreal, paris, london etc.) the more I realize how much I love New Jersey.
Thing’s I have realized about myself and the city while waking up at 8am for the past week:
- there are children EVERYWHERE. Who knew that NYC wasn’t full of homeless people, drug addicts, taxi drivers, drunk college kids, and the Greenpeace workers.
- I usually wake up at 8am anyways because of the construction outside
- I can’t wake up every day at 8. It’s not healthy/productive
- The coffee that I get from the guy on the corner for $.75 is better than the coffee I get from Starbucks.
- I scare myself when i see me in the morning because of the 4+ hours of sleep I just got. also, because of my bald head.
Things I have realized about myself and the city while going to bed at 3am for the past week:
- I can’t go to sleep before 1am no matter how hard I try.
- The kids in the TV room watch bad TV shows.
- The piano room is usually locked
- When the piano room is unlocked, the piano is out of tune, or broken.
- My suitemate has taken over the kitchen table as his own art studio.
- All my roommates/suitemates haven’t done dishes, and it’s so nasty they’re resorting to throwing out the cooking pans. No they’re not disposable
- My roommate has starting a mini compost pile in my room, in which he’s using Red Worms to dispose of uneaten food. his quote:
-“They’ll eat the trash then MULTIPLY. There will be worms EVERYWHERE”
- I now dislike compost piles.
struggling to find a melody. inspiration please?
I can’t see myself being homeless.
I have realized a few things:
- I need to practice, A LOT more
- My drum teacher is crazy, and i love it.
- I need to get my comprehension levels UP (in every way possible).
- I’m regaining my interest in classical music again (some of it is pretty badass)
- Other schools have the same issues as MSU did
- Socially speaking, New School and MSU are TOTAL opposites
- I had more space in Freeman Hall
- I’m an awful cook, and have an awful diet.
- I’m slowly changing one of those things (hint: it’s not my cooking)
- I get anxious about A LOT more things than I once thought
- It’s more inspiring seeing the city from the outside than it is living in it
- I don’t look good in flannel
- Brooklyn is full of ugly people
- Manhattan is full of beautiful people
- New School wants to be NYU, but won’t admit it
- If it weren’t for Project Runway, no one would know about New School
- New School: A University
- Sight Reading class might be my second most important class
- My most important class is still Drum Lessons
- I love New Jersey, a lot
- Zach Braff may or may not be my idol
I have others, but none that I could figure out a clever enough segue for. For all those still at MSU, i feel you. I’ll be visiting once more before Paul peaces outta there.
Show with Astoria Boulevard this friday. Proficiency test NEXT thursday. Lessons with Mark Guiliana next month. Moving to NYC next year. Graduating in 2012.
…the term “word” as well as the word “word” itself will now be called “letter combo”.
… usually nine or ten times a year, I give myself some self promotion, so here is april’s installment of this happening.
I’ve added four new tunes that my ensemble performed last week, I was nervous as all hell when I went up to the stage, but hopefully that didn’t come out too much in my playing. Overall I’m happy with it, but I’ve still got a LOT I would like to fix. So I hope you enjoy them as much as i had fun playing them.
also, my cymbal FINALLY chipped today. so that irritating rattle is gone, but now there’s a big chunk of my cymbal missing. Oh well, not all makeovers look pretty, but at least it sounds nice.