This has been a tough year, but a year I will not forget. There has been so much good music brought to my attention this year. Here are my top hits.
New School Professor of the Year:
- Professor Beliavsky for 20th Century Innovators.
- Professor Nurock for Arranging Fundamentals and Score Reading & Analysis.
Performance of the Year:
- Ben Allison at Kush. April 20, 2011 with Mark Guiliana, Steve Cardenas and a surprise appearance by none other than Jeff Ballard. Here’s a clip from the show! http://youtu.be/VkQoP1F_fzM
Composer of the Year:
- Steve Reich. The moment when I first heard Music for 18 Musicians will be a memory that I will never forget. Also, check out Different Trains.
Runner up Composer of the Year:
- Nico Muhly. You gotta check out his ballet titled I Drink The Air Before Me. He probably deserves composer of the year, but I think Steve Reich just clinched that win.
Album Of The Year
- In One Wind with their new record titled How Bright A Shadow. Do yourself a favor, and buy this, or look them up on Spotify. I get so inspired to play and write music after listening to these guys. Keep your eye on them and follow them on Tumblr too!
Also, something worth mentioning. Perhaps it is because I live in New York City, or perhaps not, but every person mentioned here has lived/is living in New York. Coincidence, or is New York really that cool? Cheers to the end of a tough year, and here’s to looking forward. (Graduation? Aye!)